Friday, February 10, 2012

P. G. Wodehouse...the funniest man you will ever read

I have a new favorite author.  And if you read this post's title, you know who he is.

Mr. P. G. Wodehouse writes some of the best and most hilarious books I have ever read.  He wrote several different series, mostly set in New York in the early 1900s.  His most famous series, and my personal favorite, concern bumbling millionaire Bertie Wooster, and his valet--not butler--Jeeves.  In each story, Wooster or one of his friends has a problem, and Jeeves gets them out of it.  In a truly comedic fashion, of course.   

Just in case you're not persuaded, here are a few quotes:  

“He had just about enough intelligence to open his mouth when he wanted to eat, but certainly no more.” 

“I'm not absolutely certain of the facts, but I rather fancy it's Shakespeare who says that it's always just when a fellow is feeling particularly braced with things in general that Fate sneaks up behind him with the bit of lead piping.” 

“I always advise people never to give advice.” 

“He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.” 

“She fitted into my biggest arm-chair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing arm-chairs tight about the hips that season” 

The man was brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of his books! I would advise one to begin with "My Man, Jeeves," which contains four Jeeves and Wooster stories, and four stories centering around Reggie Pepper, another charming narrator.  

Wonderful books, and so much fun to read!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh! I love Jeeves with much great devotion! Jeeves is amazing, and I am so glad that you are one of those Enlightened Ones who knows that he is a valet (or a gentleman's gentleman, haha) and NOT a butler.
    I love the quotes you used, especially the dead beetle one! Have you read "Bertie Changes His Mind"? It's a short story written from Jeeves' point of view---to the best of my knowledge, the only one written that way. Also, have you read "Right Ho, Jeeves"? That's my favorite (so far :D).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I actually haven't read either of those! Right Ho, Jeeves is on my kindle waiting to be devoured when I have time (I'll probably do a review of that one too,) and I've heard great things about Bertie Changes His Mind. Jeeves is amazing. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of his stories!

    ReplyDelete